Emergencies can occur at any time and can arise from a number of causes including fire, chemical spills, gas leaks, medical emergencies, bomb threats and physical threats. The University has in place a number of procedures to respond to emergency situations should they arise.
Security Services Rapid Response
Rapid response is generally initiated when Security Services is contacted by staff, students or visitors via:
- a call to the emergency line 9385 6666
- one of the Help Points located about campus
- any lift phone
- activation of a duress button (where fitted)
- alarm notification, e.g fire alarm
Responses are managed from the Security Services Control Room and overseen by the Security Services team leader.
UNSWalert - SMS Emergency Notification System
Staff and students are automatically registered to receive an SMS alert when emergency situations arise. Please note there will be an annual test of the system for quality assurance purposes. To opt out, please log in to myUNSW and go to your profile. In the 'Phone' section, select 'Add a new telephone number type' then check the box to opt out.
Emergency procedures and documents
Familiarising yourself with UNSW's emergency procedures is important. You can view the UNSW's current procedures here:
- UNSW Emergency Management Plan 2019
- UNSW Emergency Procedures
- UNSW Emergency Procedures Poster - Kensington Campus
- UNSW Emergency Procedures Poster - Paddington & Randwick Campuses
To order posters for your area, please email UNSW Emergency.